BREAKING: IBADAN POPULAR BUSINESS HUB RAZED BY FIRE,GOODS WORTH MILLIONS OF NAIRA DESTROYED
There was confusion in Dugbe area of Ibadan this Wednesday, as the commercial centre of Ibadan was gutted by fire,though no life was lost but properties worth millions of naira were destroyed in the inferno.
GOALPOACHER NEWS learnt that the inferno was caused by electric spark. The inferno was finally put out by the Oyo State Fire Service.
Some of the affected shops include, Pelly foam, sachet water factory, furniture store,electric and electronic stores, a big bag store,clothing materials among others while vehicles were also not left out.
Wale Adepoju, one of the shop owners affected by the inferno, narrated how it started.
“The fire started minutes past 1pm. The fire came from the shop of a man who in a bid to demarcate his shop into two invited a welder to do some welding work. A spark was ignited while the welder was working resulting in the inferno.”
While speaking, the Chief Fire Officer, Oyo state, Adewuyi Moshood said
“It is unfortunate that the fire started in the afternoon and we were not called to time. When we were called, we could see the some right from the state Secretariat.”
“That showed that the fire was well alight before they remembered to call the fire service. We believe such delay in informing us is only excusable if it happens during the day.”
“They probably have been trying their best and only called us when things had got out of hand. I appeal to residents to call the fire service immediately fire occurs, while they also apply their personal efforts. That will prevent a lot of damage.”
“Here, for example, millions of naira are already gone here. Even during the lockdown, the fire service is on ground to respond to emergency calls so whenever incidents like this occur, the fire service should be notified on time.”