Executive Order on Social and Religious Gatherings Still in Force– Ogedengbe
Our attention has been drawn to a PRESS RELEASE on “RESUMPTION OF PUBLIC WORSHIP” dated May 20,2020, which was purported to have been made by His Excellency, Engr. Seyi Makinde, the Executive Governor of Oyo state and signed by one Adeniran Adenuga who claimed to be the “Special Adviser, Media and Publicity to Governor”.
For the avoidance of doubt, it has become imperative to make the following clarifications:
1. His Excellency, Engr Seyi Makinde, the Executive Governor of Oyo State had indeed received appeals from religious leaders over the possible relaxation of the ban on religious gatherings but has not issued any EXECUTIVE ORDER to that effect.
2. The Special Adviser to the Governor on Media is Mr. Jide Ajani and not Adeniran Adenuga. Mr. Ajani has written to refute this press release as false and misleading.
3. Recall that His Excellency recently averred that expert advice is to the effect that the government can not relax the directive on social and religious gatherings at this time considering the fact that the virus has the proclivity to spread more rapidly in an enclosed environment. However, the experts are carrying out a situation analysis and will be sending in their reports before the end of May. According to him, it is their report that would determine the next step of government in this regard.
4. Recent developments in the state have further underscored the need for all concerned stakeholders in the state to exercise a little more patience as we all work together towards combatting and arresting the pandemic from spreading further.
5. We wish to implore our religious leaders to keep giving our administration the necessary support and continue to pray to God for our administration as we respond to the challenges necessitated by the outbreak of the novel Corona Virus.
6. May the good Lord heal our land and restore perfect peace to Oyo State.
Rev. Idowu Ogedengbe
Executive Assistant to the Executive Governor.
May 22, 2020.