Kidnappers Of Ekiti Agric Commissioner Demand N30m Ransom
Kidnappers of the Commissioner for Agriculture in Ekiti State, Mr. Folorunso Olabode, on Monday, reached out to his family demanding that a N30 million ransom be paid to secure his release.
Olabode was kidnapped by unknown gunmen on Sunday evening along Isan-Iludun road on his way from Ado-Ekiti to his hometown, Iye-Ekiti in Ilejemeje local government area of the state.
In the process, a councillor who drove his car was shot dead at the scene, while the commissioner was kidnapped alongside other occupants of the car.
A family source, who spoke in confidence, told newsmen in Ado-Ekiti, said the family received a call from the kidnappers and made a huge financial demand before the commissioner could regain freedom.
“The entire Iye Ekiti is troubled now, we are worried and we have started negotiation with the abductors. We pray they release him sound and safe.
“We don’t want to lose such an illustrious son and we are begging the state Governor, Dr Kayode Fayemi and all the security apparatuses of government to do all within their powers to rescue him alive”, he said.
The police, however, said the operatives of the Ekiti State Police Command had been dispatched and were already combing the forest being used for hostage by the miscreants.
The Command Public Relations Officer, Abutu Sunday said the police were not aware of any negotiation on the demand made by the abductors, promising that every security measures would be put in place to ensure Olabode regain freedom.
“We are not aware that the bandits were requesting for any ransom, we have not been told.
“The police have begun serious security checks in that axis and that might be responsible for why the people said the road had been closed.
“We only took strict security measures”, he said.